Re: cpio: Bad magic on ARM

On 10/19/2012 09:37 PM, david.hagood@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am cross-compiling RPMs for an ARM target on an X86_64 machine. When I
have successfully built my RPM for the target, and I try to install it, I
get:

error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

However, if I verify the package via
   rpm -K mypackage.rpm
No errors are reported.

I've tried rpm --nomd5 with no change.

The RPM seems to be fine on my development machine, and if I convert it to
a CPIO via rpm2cpio, the resulting cpio will unpack fine on the
development machine. (the target, being an embedded system, is a little
thin on what is installed, so it doesn't have a stand-alone cpio program
to run).

The host is running RPM 4.8.0, the target RPM 4.0.4.

Can anybody give me any suggestions as to things to try to resolve this?

The first thing that comes to mind is payload compression which the ancient rpm-4.0.4 doesn't support. That *should* cause dependency errors on attempted install though - are you installing with --nodeps?

Upstream rpm defaults to backwards compatible settings, but eg RHEL 6 and derivates (which have rpm-4.8.0) ship with XZ compression and SHA-256 file digests enabled, and you'll need to disable both at build time to have the resulting packages work on rpm 4.0.4, eg in the spec:

%global _source_filedigest_algorithm 1
%global _binary_filedigest_algorithm 1
%global _binary_payload w9.gzdio
%global _source_payload w9.gzdio