cpio: Bad magic on ARM

I am cross-compiling RPMs for an ARM target on an X86_64 machine. When I
have successfully built my RPM for the target, and I try to install it, I
get:

error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

However, if I verify the package via
  rpm -K mypackage.rpm
No errors are reported.

I've tried rpm --nomd5 with no change.

The RPM seems to be fine on my development machine, and if I convert it to
a CPIO via rpm2cpio, the resulting cpio will unpack fine on the
development machine. (the target, being an embedded system, is a little
thin on what is installed, so it doesn't have a stand-alone cpio program
to run).

The host is running RPM 4.8.0, the target RPM 4.0.4.

Can anybody give me any suggestions as to things to try to resolve this?