Re: RPM build errors: Could not generate output filename for package xxx: unknown tag

Thanks Greg.

I believe the problem was related to attempting to build the RPM on a ubuntu machine (yes, I realize that ubuntu uses deb). As soon as I switched to a red hat machine everything works fine. I had attempted originally to build it on a red hat machine but had other issues with not having root access on that machine to build it. So when the RPM was built it would attempt to put it in /usr/src/redhat (which I don't have permissions for) I've since discovered that the output directory of the RPM can be specified using topdir. It seems as if my macros file is being ignored so I had to specify topdir on the command line... Quite frustrating. I'll have to see if I can reproduce the problem on a smaller scale so I can make a bug report at some stage. It also seems to vary between the different rpmbuild installs.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
John