trivial command to make an rpm file

hey all,

I'd like to make a source rpm file, and add metadata for safe keeping
to it. Is there a trivial way to make a source rpm that DOESN'T go
through a spec file? Ie: you have:

    * rpm2cpio foo.src.rpm | cpio --extract

which would extract a source rpm's files. Is there a

    * tar cvzf * - | tar2rpm foo.src.rpm -

or somesuch? or even:

    rpmbuild cvf *

As I said, I'd like to store things in the rpm that are not sources. I
suppose I could add them to the rpm itself AS additional files (not
sure of the syntax for this, anyways) but why should it be this
difficult?

I could see that you may want verification (ie: if there are files not
explicitly noted in the spec file, the utility tells you so) but
that's what a lint-like utility is for. ie:

rpmbuild cvf *

could create a rpm from the sources in a given directory - and do a
check to see if they are all in the spec, and if not, give a warning.

Ed

( ps - how do you add arbitrary files to a source rpm anyways? )