rpm -U options

Hi,
I have a setup wherein I have configured my harddisk into 2 partitions(say sda1 and sda2) each being imaged with SLES10sp2 versions. Each of these partititons have a corresponding boot partition which will be read by the MBR to boot from.

In such an environment, I am trying to use "rpm -U" command to upgrade one of the partition(say sda2, lets call it as inactive) from the other partition(say sda1, lets call this active). Since each partition has its own rpmdatabase, I used --relocate and --dbpath options along with rpm -U command, something like:

Although the command works(the inactive partiton gets upgraded), I see that active partition's rpm files are getting DELETED.

This happens only when both the partitions are on the same versions. If they are on different versions, I dont see this issue.
Can anyone point me to the right set of upgrade options to be used in this usecase?

Thanks,
Shruthi

Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.