Re: Upgrade from rpm 3.0.6

Thomas Jarosch wrote:
I'm currently looking into a way to do an upgrade from a Redhat Linux 6.2 based system running rpm 3.0.6. I've managed to get a recent glibc 2.9.2
+ gcc 4.3.2 and kernel 2.6.29 running and tested the upgrade process.
Though I had to package everything as rpm3 packages...

rpm3 uses db1 as database format. The convertdb1 utility was removed some while ago, I'm wondering what would be the best way to upgrade to rpm 4.7?

Do I have to go the rpm 4.0.4 route first? From what I can see in the
rpm releases archive, version 4.4.2 still includes the db1 BDB code.

I remember hanging rpm processes when I upgraded my workstation to RH 7.0,
is this still an issue? IIRC it was something about threading and rpm 4.x.
The upgrade should be done automatically on around 2.000 boxes.
I strongly suggested that you do not try to update those machines but reinstall them from scratch. RHL 6.2 is end of life for about ten years now. So many things have changed. It is difficult to tell without further details but you'll have to convert or adjust most config files anyway. Lots of packages have been replaced since then - 10000 new have been added to (now) Fedora. Setup a kickstart environment and a central place where you maintain the configuration for the machines and then reinstall them.

Florian