Re: File name conflicts with other similar packages?

Ignacio Valdes wrote:
Hi all,

I have created an rpm called Astronaut on sourceforge.net that comes
in several flavors: Nostromo, WorldVistA and more in the future. They
should install without difficulty side-by-side. However, while some of
the files that the rpm installs have the same name, they do not get
installed in the same directories.  rpm -i is warning me that they
have duplicate filenames which they do but they do not get installed
to the same locations. I have to use --force to make it install
anyway.  I do want to have entirely separate instances with the same
filenames which is what it does now but gives the warning. How do I
avoid this problem without --force?

If this really is the case this is a bug and you should report the details (especially the rpm version). But it is also possible that these file conflict because the directories (or some parent directories) are symlinks that lead to the same location. As there are a lot of LICENSE and README files in /usr/share/doc/*/ it is hard to believe that just having the same basenames leads to problems.

Earlier versions of rpm did not catch these cases for symlinks that are just going to be installed but this has been fixed in 4.7.

Florian