Re: Keeping tar permissions when building an rpm.

Jennis Pruett wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm battling with keeping permissions when the rpm is built.
>
> I tar up a directory, specifically using -p to keep permissions.
> This tar file is fed to the spec file. But when the rpm is built,
> it never keeps the permissions that I've tried to keep.
>
> I don't know a lot about setting permissions inside the .spec file,
> but was hoping it kept what it got.
>
> any ideas?

Not keeping the actual file permissions is done on purpose. If you are not
building as root you are very likely not able to set the right permissions.
To avoid srpms that can only properly build as root rpm ignores the file
permissions in the build root.

Florian