Re: Preventing the striping of symbols when packaging pre-existing binaries [ WAS: Re: how to disable rpmbuild from stripping the debug information from binaries?]

> I was afraid that that wasn't what you were really looking for.  I few
> months back I was given the task of packaging IBM DB2 for internal use at
> my organization and I spent 2 months trying to figure out why it wasn't
> working.  It ended up being the automatic stripping of all symbols from the
> binaries, thus destroying the integrity of the binaries and preventing them
> from working.  You can read more specifics about it here:

For me, by adding the following lines:
%define debug_package %{nil}
%define __strip /bin/true

The debuginfo wasn't created and the debug information is not being
stripped anymore
(the binary file size is just like the original size that i wanted to
add to the RPM)

> but in summary, the fix was to use:
>
> %define __spec_install_port /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress

Can you tell me what the line you suggested does?
(or why the solution that i'm using is not the solution that i should use)

Thanks
Dotan