RE: how to install rpm onto Solaris 10?

Sounds cool from your email. Though I didn’t see any openpkg release growing since 2006, I will give a go anyway.

From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of devzero2000
Sent: Wednesday, 23 July 2008 6:28 PM
To: RPM Package Manager
Subject: Re: how to install rpm onto Solaris 10?

2008/7/23 Yukun Song <yukon.song@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi hth,

Thanks for the great information!

I looked at openpkg first. It sounds perfect from the features page on the web site, but it doesn't seem to have been active since 2006

yep

openpkg is very active, it is one of the principal member of rpm5, most solaris box run it and, if you like, has also had commercial support (http://www.openpkg.com)

Then I looked at rpm5.org. I followed its doc page, it shows that the most recent doc is http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ . In section 19.1.1, it tells me to find rpm for various platforms at www.rpm.org/platforms/,

Sigh. Jeff Johnson, the "rpm" mantainer and developer for more than 10 years, work now on http://rpm5.org. And, let me repeat,  rpm5
is very portable on platform  different from  Linux: rpm of http://rpm.org  isn't so portable. Guess why in 2008 AIX 5.3 use rpm 3.0.5 (1999 )?

Some google search on the argument can help

JMHO, YMMV

over there, it redirected me to http://www.sunrpms.org/ where it provides Solaris 10 Sparc pkg of rpm. Oh yeah!

Point my mouse to the link, it shows that it is actually rpm-4.0.4-sparc-sol10.pkg. I come back to rpm 4!

Anyway, I got a pkg package of rpm which should be installable on Solaris 10. I will give it a go!

Cheers,

Yukun