From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of devzero2000
Sent: Wednesday, 23 July 2008 5:15 PM
To: RPM Package Manager
Subject: Re: how to install rpm onto Solaris 10?

2008/7/23 Yukun Song <yukon.song@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi guys,

We are trying to use rpm as our application's package management system on Solaris 10. I wonder if anyone has experience installing rpm onto Solaris 10, preferably yum as well.

If I compile it on Solaris 10, there should be also a lot gnu c libraries required I guess.

Not is necessary to use gnu c lib or gcc itself to use rpm on Solaris: for maximum portability i raccomend rpm5 (http://rpm5.org) of course. RPM5 has been ported to many platform, with a mixture of diverse compiler and different c library as µClibc. OTHO, if you want a simple porting of rpm5 on solaris 10 you can use the openpkg  http://www.openpkg.org/  project. AFAICT most client sun use it.

hth

Thanks in advance

Yukun Song
Technical Team Leader - SMS Gateway