Re: finding orphaned files

Hi Greg-

First a question back at you - it seems like your first step replicates the --verify option to some extent. Is there some info not provided by --verify that you need for step 1?

About "2:" - I find when I set up the spec file for an rpm, it's best to only define %directory that I'm pretty sure won't already exist. For example, I would define it for /opt/mypackage, but not /opt. If you have control over the spec files for the rpms you're talking about, you could trim these unneeded %directory entries to reduce the orphaned directories output from your script.

Also, I think you'll find that orphaned files are sometimes config files, which are retained if they have been edited before rpm removal.

-Carter

Greg_Swift@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi.

So I'm in the process of writing a script that does a few things:

1: creates a report of all RPM installed files whose md5 has changed [1]
2: creates a report of all non-rpm owned files (orphans)

I've actually got the script working.. First step takes about 9 minutes due
to the md5 hashing, and the second step takes all of about 15s.  Times
would be subjective to system, of course.   Anyways.  There is a problem
with the second report.  Many RPMs report that they own a directory instead
of a file.  Which isn't a bad thing, except that not all RPMs when removed
will actually remove the directory and its contents, depending on how it
was defined as owned.  My original thought was to just check to see if the
parent directory was owned, but I don't know how conclusive that would be,
or if it would hide from me some of the files I really need to see.
Anyone have any suggestions?

-greg

[1] I'm using a method similar to this:
http://people.redhat.com/pnasrat/rpm-python/rpm-python-slides/foil15.html