Re: handling removal of shared file

I also think you should not share the config file. You can look at apache for an example related projects using a shared config directory, but not the same file. Apache has a top level /etc/httpd.conf which includes all the files under /etc/httpd/conf.d/. When you install apache add ons, they drop files in /etc/httpd/conf.d/, which works well. I can't remember which ones now, but I have seen a similar practice in other packages as well.

I should warn you, that if you try to do anything tricky with having various rpm postinstall  scripts do some manipulation of the shared conf file, you may run into problems. I've worked somewhere where they tried to make that work, and it didn't. The conf file can always change enough that script regexps don't match it anymore. Also, it's difficult to get the logic right in a postinstall script that manipulates a config file with respect to proper handling up updates vs. installs.

-Carter