Re: canonical way to detect platform/distribution

IMHO, the general problem of vendor rpm fragmentation isn't likely to be resolved
with rpm macros. But for a single distro (rhel vs suse vs mandriva vs ...) and different release of this, it is a possibility: not good in general but it's life...............

Macros if abused  are  for itself a source of incompatibility: use it carefully. I know it is not so simple but a little discipline and more QA in rpm packaging it is often necessary
if not desiderable always, AFAICT.

Regards