RE: RPM - Preventing uninstall and file conflicts.

Both options we've looked at and unfortunately, cannot use due to
security restrictions.  Instead of cfengine we use Cendura Cohesion (
recently aquired by CA ) for our configuration management.  Right now
I'm only dealing with RHEL systems but we have a mix of RHEL, AIX,
Windows and some Solaris and Cohesion had agents for all of those.  I
haven't heard of puppet, so I'll take a look at that.

Alot of the difficulty in our situation stems from the multiple tiers
that are unable to communicate with each other, thus resulting in having
multiple servers of any type ( ie - 2 DNS servers per tier, 1 yum repos
per tier, a kickstart server per tier), none of which are able to use a
centrally managed machine to replicate from for all of their configs and
ata.  Add ontop of that the fact that many of these tiers have no
internet access and you only see the tip of the iceberg.

The config RPMs were considered because they're easy to generate out of
our SVS and easy enough to replicate to the kickstart/yum repos in each
tier manually.  I'm also trying to get webjob (
http://webjob.sourceforge.net ) implemented as a tool for RPM
installation and other adminstrative tasks, but that's a whole other
battle.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input on this.

--
sh