Re: RPM - Preventing uninstall and file conflicts.

On Nov 14, 2007 1:22 PM, Hajducko, Steven
<steven.hajducko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What we'd like to do is create RPM's for each set of tier configuration
> files.  So I'd like to have my 'configs-web-production-1.0.0' RPM with
> /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts, etc and then we simply install the correct
> tier RPM for any given system, depending on which tier the system resides
> in.  As a side note, all these systems are either RHEL3 or RHEL4.

I've been there too, and asked a lot of questions, eventually gave up
trying to replace config files like that.  I got a lot of suggestions.
 Maybe the best was to set up a CVS server and have systems update
those config files against it.  But I didn't do it because it's easier
to just re-make the RPMS I need and distribute them than it is to hack
up a config rpm.

But...

Why couldn't we try to use the alternatives framework for this.

Collect up the config files you want and install them anywhere you  want.

Note how the system under /etc/alternatives works. THey are all
symbolic links that point to the real things.  So after you install
your files somewhere--in a place that does not conflict, of course,
then the alternatives framework can be used to tell the system to use
your files.  And if your RPM is removed, I believe the postun section
can be set to restore the links to the original files.

Well, probably not better than the trigger scheme described by
previous responder.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science