Re: Supporting multiple Linux platforms

--- Leland Ray <elray544@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I need to create installers for a product in
> multiple >Unix variants and Windows: Linux RedHat,
> Suse, >SunOS,HP-UX, AIX, Win2k, Win2003, ...
>
> rpm is really a component installer, and most
> products
> these days are constructed from a variety of
> components. For the products I do with rpm, I find
> it
> much easier to split into multiple rpms and use a
> yum
> repository (or something like it) to install. Also,
> prerequisites that might not be normally installed
> with a distribution can get automatically installed,
> that way. Finally, I tend to separately package any
> 3rd party libraries I am using. This has an added
> benefit in it keeps the licensing people happier.
>
> Do I understand that you have a single binary
> requirement? In other words, you do a single Linux
> build, and that build must work on all the
> distributions of Linux you support? If yes, its
> going
> to take some research on your part to determine the
> configuration of your build machine. You'll need,
> for
Another option to deal with applications binary
portability is using tools like statifier
(http://statifier.sf.net) or Ermine
(http://www.magicErmine.com)
Those tools create self-contained executable from exe
and all it's shared libraries, so resulting file have
no dependebcies (only minimal kernel version)

Valery.