Re: Supporting multiple Linux platforms

> I need to create installers for a product in
multiple >Unix variants and Windows: Linux RedHat,
Suse, >SunOS,HP-UX, AIX, Win2k, Win2003, ...

rpm is really a component installer, and most products
these days are constructed from a variety of
components. For the products I do with rpm, I find it
much easier to split into multiple rpms and use a yum
repository (or something like it) to install. Also,
prerequisites that might not be normally installed
with a distribution can get automatically installed,
that way. Finally, I tend to separately package any
3rd party libraries I am using. This has an added
benefit in it keeps the licensing people happier.

Do I understand that you have a single binary
requirement? In other words, you do a single Linux
build, and that build must work on all the
distributions of Linux you support? If yes, its going
to take some research on your part to determine the
configuration of your build machine. You'll need, for
instance, a glibc which has an old enough version that
it will encompass all the distributions you target.
You may also need to package compatibility rpms for
some distributions.

There is also the option of building on every system
you support. May or may not be practical for your
situation, often QA requirements keep that from being
the right approach.