Re: sendmail.cf.rpmnew, but no sendmail.mc.rpmnew?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 03:28:50PM -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:

> Wouldn't it make so much more sense for both new sendmail.cf.rpmnew and
> a sendmail.mc.rpmnew files to have been distributed? Apologies if this
> is a well documented faq that I missed in my search. My hopes are that
> this is just a packaging error.

There are never .rpmnew files distributed.

If a file that is marked as a config file with the noreplace option
(this is defined by the package builder) is different from the file
in the previous version of the packages, the following rule applies:

-  If the file on the system was not modified (so, it's exactly the
   same as the one of the previous version of the package), the file
   is (silently) replaced by the new version.

-  If the file on the system was modified, that file is left untouched
   and the version included in the new package is stored with an
   .rpmnew suffix.

I don't know if this explains this particular situation, maybe it's
also a packaging error, but if there is no .mc.rpmnew file this
either means the .mc file in the package didn't change or the
.mc file on the system was unchanged (or both).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>