sendmail.cf.rpmnew, but no sendmail.mc.rpmnew?

Hi,

This question was asked in comp.mail.sendmail back in 2003, but was never fully resolved. Since it refers to an rpm specific update, I'll ask here.

I just updated sendmail using yum, and found a sendmail.cf.rpmnew file. There are numerous changes in this .cf file that seem important, but they will certainly be overwritten the next time the sendmail service restarts and the .mc file is processed.

Are we expected to search our existing .mc files, and make them match the newest changes from the sendmail.cf.rpmnew file? I don't even believe that all of the changes could be made to match by revising the .mc file alone.

Wouldn't it make so much more sense for both new sendmail.cf.rpmnew and a sendmail.mc.rpmnew files to have been distributed? Apologies if this is a well documented faq that I missed in my search. My hopes are that this is just a packaging error.

Thanks for all responses,
Steven Stromer