Re: Getting 3rd party RPM's via an OS installer?

Dan Stromberg - Datallegro skrev, on 21-08-2007 18:05:

Dan Stromberg - Datallegro wrote:
But some of these 3rd party RPM's aren't very careful
with their Requires dependencies,
Don't you just hate that?

Yeah, it's a pain.

Is there some way of constructing a special RPM that
should always be installed at the end of the tested
RPM's, and change minimally your 3rd party RPM's to
depend on that single RPM?  That is, without having
a huge list of Requires in that special RPM?
You could create an rpm that depended not only on the 3rd party rpms
but also on the dependencies that you have deduced are required.  Then
install your rpm and it should bring in all of the dependencies.

Say the special RPM is called "knot".

Wouldn't you need to make your 3rd party RPM's require knot, and make knot
require anything the 3rd party RPM's require?

I'm no RPM expert, but it seems like if knot required the 3rd party RPM's,
it'd be installed after the 3rd party RPM's, and the 3rd party RPM's
remain at the mercy of the topological sort. Or am I missing something?

Well, since I moved from up2date to FC6, and then CentOS5 and RHL5, I've found that yum is pretty good at sorting out dependencies (unless one chooses stupid repositories - in which case all hell breaks loose).

With correct repositories (yeah, I once "updated" my whole FC7 installation with FC8 stuff) I've found yum to be unparalleled.

Anybody's shout :)

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw