Re: Parameter passing between %pre and %post section

Lis Maria wrote:
> > Could you say a few words about what you are trying to do?
>
> I am basically trying to set a flag in the %pre section which is used in the
> %post section to perform some activities.

Hmm...  That is a very vague description.  It would help if you were
more specific.

What would be available to be known in the %pre section that would not
also be available to be known in the %post section in exactly the same
way?  The only thing I can think of is that in the %pre section it is
possible to determine if files that are going to be installed by the
package are already existing on the filesystem.  In which case they
could be moved out of the way and into a save location if there was a
desire to do that.  (I would probably avoid that though.  It makes a
cleanup problem.)  Other than this I can't guess and any information
that would be available in %pre but not be readily in %post.

> Currently I have writtent the entry to a temporary file and am reading that
> file in the %post section. This, I understand is not an elegant one.

I would be concerned about ordering of events in all cases and picking
up possibly stale data in other cases and odd corner case problems.
In the simple case it should work but the devil is in the details and
there are a lot of use case possibilities.

> is there someway through which we cans etup a macro in the pre
> section and access it elsewhere/

None of which I am aware.

Bob