RE: ... binary RPM question ...

>If you don't have a Source: tag, where do you get
your >files from?
>Out of the blue?  From "what's there at that moment"?

If you are not using %prep (as itself, or as %setup),
the Source: tags only exist to tell rpmbuild what to
use when constructing a .src.rpm.

So the simple answer to the question is that there are
no source files in the case of constructing a binary
rpm; you already have the binaries, and the previous
build system gives you the layout.

Yes, I should have mentioned the problem of
inadvertantly including a system directory in %files,
which is a real danger if you use a wildcard.

Whether the original poster should use the tar/gzip
runtime directory as a source to rpm as you suggested,
or just use the final packaging stage of rpmbuild,
depends on his specific requirements.