Re: Supported Linux Versions

Leland Ray wrote:
> > For example, don't hard coded paths to /bin/basename or
> > /usr/bin/grep and others in scripts and other places.
> > (Why do people feel the need to do that?
>
> Unfortunately, no accepted standard that I am aware of
> maps installed utilities to rpm capabilities.

Just to clarify (and I was not clear before) I was thinking about
installed scripts and programs.  I have often seen vendors install
scripts with hard coded locations to standard programs.  They
shouldn't do that.

Historically on commercial Unix systems it has been 'grep' that has
been problematically moved around from directory to directory.  In
recent times between RHEL, SuSE, Debian systems 'basename' is a good
example of a command that is in different directories on different
system.

This has not been a problem for me as an rpm dependency.  It has been
a problem because the installed application called a command at a
location where the command did not exist on that system.  It would
otherwise have worked fine.

I have a list of symlinks that I add to the system to work around
these problems but would prefer if the vendor scripts were improved
not to need those compatibility symlinks.

> This makes life difficult for a package developer.
> Here is an example.

Good point.  I was not even thinking about the rpm dependency.  I will
add it along with Jeff's response to my list when quoting these in the
future. :-)

> It would really make life easier if 1) I had a standard that mapped
> utilities to rpm capabilities, and 2) I had a way to query the
> prefix of a relocatable installed package in the event the utility I
> need in a scriptlet is not expected to be on the normal PATH.

I think what is really needed is a policy document that rpm based
systems vendors would agree to work to when packaging.  This is a pipe
dream and won't ever happen but a converged naming of packages and
capabilities would go a long way to making rpm based systems
interoperable.  But since that also removes differentiation between
them I doubt it will ever happen.

Bob