HOWTO: spec files for kernel modules?

I build kernel modules for the OpenAFS file server and I put them in
my yum repository.  When yum update runs, it removes the existing
package "openafs-kernel" and it updates with the new one.  I wish it
would behave like the kernel module packages that other people
distribute, such as the nvidia modules from livna, that only install
the new module without removing the old.  From gazing at the spec
files, I have not yet found a way to make that happen.  Can you give
me a pointer?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science