Re: Trouble with RPM and %{_sysconfdir}.

Paul Johnson wrote, on 10. apr 2007 06:54:

[...]

$ cat /etc/rpm/platform
i686-redhat-linux

Maybe that's wrong?  Should anaconda have put "i686-linux" instead?

Nope, read on ;)

I see what you mean about the default settings in

/usr/lib/rpm/macros. That has the "wrong thing" that is giving me bad RPMs:

%_sysconfdir            %{_prefix}/etc

In this file:

/usr/lib/rpm/i686-linux/macros,

I find the "right" thing

%_sysconfdir            /etc

Same for

/usr/lib/rpm/i386-linux/macros

%_sysconfdir            /etc

Is the "mistake" that my /etc/rpm/platform file has the word "redhat",
so it does not match exactly the name of the subdirectory in
/usr/lib/rpm ?

I have very recently upgraded (and I do mean upgraded, since streaming audio and video is the be-all and end-all for my home rig) my own PC from RHAS4 to FC6, first with the download DVD ISO, then with the immediate update (279 updates -> 475 rpms) that yum nagged about.

I have exactly the same as you report, for all the rpm configuration stuff, apart from my rig being an Athlon thing, not i686. 32 bit.

1: I had a lot of self-written specs and 3rd-party stuff that had to be rebuilt and *all* of it gets %_sysconfdir right, i.e. /etc.

2: On the other hand, I'm having a hell of a problem with builds (most do) that make "-Wall" Makefiles; they spout out so much rubbish with rpm 4.4.2 that I honestly can't see the grain for the chaff. Especially with Simon J. Mudd's Postfix spec. I've been fighting to find a way of overriding the authors' "configure.in" stuff with a macro: much Googleing and much grepping in the FC6 rpm dirs, without success to date.

So.

Are you sure that the redefinition of %_sysconfdir isn't happening in the package you're building?

As I wrote, I have no problem at all, in any build on FC6, with %_sysconfdir - it always equates to /etc. But I have a real problem overriding authors' CFLAGS (and LDFLAGS and whatever. Maybe your problem is with 'configure.in'.

Lastly, remember that there are (hundreds of?, millions of?) thousands of FC6 downloaders/installers who've had no problems at all.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw