Re: Trouble with RPM and %{_sysconfdir}.

On Friday, 06 April 2007, at 13:51:28 (-0700),
Frank Cusack wrote:

> Using %_sysconfdir, but defining it as some static value is
> misleading that it is still configurable.  I just don't see how
> defining a new macro (with a constant value) or redefining
> %_sysconfdir (again, that must have a constant value) has any value
> whatsoever.

You will when someone fixes the package.  :-)

> IMHO, the "correct" solution is to go ahead and use %_sysconfdir
> (ie, let the builder decide what he wants), and patch the software
> to use it instead of hardcoded /etc.  In a lot of cases though, that
> can be pretty extensive.

Of course.

> BTW, some packages may not be "stupid" for hardcoding /etc.  I can't
> think of a specific case, but I can imagine an absolute requirement
> to use /etc.

Care to share?  Other than references to things like /etc/passwd or
/etc/inittab, I can't think of any.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>