Re: Fetching and building dependencies automatically

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:14:19AM -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On March 9, 2007 10:19:53 AM +0000 Brian Candler <B.Candler@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >So in a bit more detail, what I want is:
> >
> >1. I ask it to build package X (like 'rpmbuild -bb package-X.spec')
> >
> >2. It automatically downloads the source tarball and patches into the
> >   SOURCES directory, using the URL(s) in the spec file
> >
> >3. It installs all "BuildRequires" packages (and in turn any "Requires"
> >   packages of those packages)
> >
> >4. It builds.
>
> 5. Restore system to previous state (remove BRs that weren't installed
>   before step 3).
>
> This is critical to reproducible builds, in the general case.

Indeed - I wasn't trying to write a detailled spec :-)

Anyway, it turns out mach does this. Whenever you start a build, it does and
rpm -qa within the chroot environment, compares this to a 'snapshot' list of
packages it thinks should be there, and performs the relevant package
removals or additions to bring it back into line.

Or you can just 'mach clean; mach setup build' which makes a completely
fresh buildroot.

B.