Re: rpm -U odd behavior

Hi,

Thanks Tim.  I read Maximum RPM early on when I first started teaching
myself how to build RPMs.  At the time, the upgrade scenario was low on my
list of priorities. :-)  In addition, there seems to be scant information
stating that an upgrade would run the older package version's preun and
postun scripts after installing and running the new package version's pre
and post script.  Perhaps I just didn't catch this bit of information.

I've been relying on the following (recommended from the list) in which I
have not found information documenting the specific behavior of an upgrade
(-U) in relation to the order of execution of pre/post/preun/postun
scripts or how to handle the situation.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/index.html

However, there is mention of the parameter passed to the
pre/post/preun/postun scriptlets that indicates if a package is being
installed for the first time (1), is being upgraded (2 or higher) or if
the last version of the package is being removed (0).  Just no real world
examples or warnings that a file managed by the pre/post/preun/postun
scripts that is not listed in the %files section could actually end
up deleted after being upgraded.

I've gone back and reviewed the Maximum RPM guide at
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/.  I found the section that documents the
pre/post/preun/postun script parameter and why it exists and how it can be
used to solve my problem.

I still wonder why the implementation of an upgrade (-U) would run the
newer packages pre and post scripts and then run the older packages
preun/postun scripts.  I suppose there could be a concern that if the
newer package fails to install correctly the upgrade process is halted and
since the older package was never removed the system has remained
unchanged.

I want to thank the authors of these very usefull documents.  They are
very usefull.  My appologies for the above ramblings.  :-)

--
Thanks,

Mark Sincerbox
Adax, Inc.