Re: wrapping a 3rd party installer within an RPM package?

Thanks Jeff.

> Yep. There is %ghost that can claim ownership of files that were not
> contained in the payload.

I think %ghost might help. But is there anyway I can pass in prefixes (or macros) to %ghost from, say, the pre-install (%pre) section? The idea is to pass in a target_install_location to %ghost. The target_install_location is where the third-party installer will copy files to from within the %post section.

-Praveen.

On 2/6/07, Jeff Johnson <n3npq.jbj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Praveenkumar Ponnusamy wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a third-party installer (Macrovision's Install Anywhere
> based) for a _huge_ project. I am investigating the possibility of
> providing an RPM package for the same. I don't want to create an
> RPM package from _scratch_ because I don't want to maintain a build
> process parallel to what I already have for the third-party
> installer - so this is what I've done so far:
>
> * transported the third party installer as the RPM package's
> payload (in %files section)

Nothing wrong with this.

> * unpacked the third-party installer and invoked its setup script
> from within RPM's post install section (%post).

The running of the installer in %post, but you're unlikely to
be happy with the results.

Better approaches are:

1) detect the 1st execution of some component and run/configure the
installer there.
2) add notes about how to run the installer to, say, %description and/
or as a README
in /usr/share/doc/*/

> The obvious problem here is that - since the installer is the
> _payload_ for RPM package, looking up the files installed by the
> package using "rpm -q --dump <my-package>" command actually shows
> the installer files. But I want for it to show the _actual_ files
> installed by the third-party installer. This will provide great
> flexibility later when installing updates and patches.

Yep. There is %ghost that can claim ownership of files that were not
contained
in the payload.

> I know this is a rather unconventional situation - but it will
> help. Can anybody think of any solution for this scenario?

Not at all unconventional, jusk ask LSB about 3rd part ISV's ... ;-)

73 de Jeff