Re: How to write a spec file to revise various config files?

Matthew Miller wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > After installing Fedora, I want to replace various configuration files
> > on lab computers. If I can learn how to do this in the post section of
> > an RPM spec file, I will be happy.  For example, I want/need to
> > replace things like
>
> I don't think rpm post scripts are the best mechanism for this. You could
> either use a tool like cfengine to manage the files,

Agreed.  You don't want to be having one package smash on top of
another package's files.  I don't use cfengine but I do use that
similar type of approach.  I install scripts that then modify the
system files to the configuration that I want.  You can use an rpm
package to handle the installation of the scripts.  I use version
control more directly.  There are a lot of options.

Basically you have taken the first step to a higher order of system
design.  Please read this reference.  It is the seminal paper on the
subject.

  http://www.infrastructures.org/papers/bootstrap/bootstrap.html

You would probably want to read other topics on that web site or join
the infrastructures mailing list.  Good stuff.

What I do is to have a directory of shell scripts which are run on
every host.  When I make a configuration change I actually make the
change in the script and check it into version control.  The script is
run on every host on my network and the configuration change is
executed.

Others don't like the shell script approach and prefer to use
specialized programs such as cfengine.  I don't prefer this as much.
But there is certainly more written about it.

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/04/15/cfengine.html
  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/05/13/distributed_cfengine.html

Google uses a tool they call Slack.

  http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1814790366;fp;16;fpid;0