Re: rpm expectations/conventions

On Dec 8, 2006, at 8:51 PM, marks wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to rpm and have a few questions regarding the expectations
of an rpm end-user with regards to installed/generated files.

When installing the rpm, is it expected that every file installed or
generated when running "rpm -i" be owned (rpm -qf) by the package?

In general, yes, almost all files should come from the package, not side effects.

If so, how do I get files that are built on the fly by the scriptlets in
the rpm to show in the rpm database as owned by the package (rpm -qf}?

You can add a %ghost attribute, or you can stub an empty file and disable
content verification. There's probably a couple other ways.

If I put these files in the %files section rpmbuild fails as the files
don't exist yet. I suppose I could use touch to create placeholder files
then overwrite them but would rather follow the proper conventions.

Touch empty files in %install.

Add, say, %ghost or %veriy(not md5).

Also, the rpm I am developing will hopefully support all our currently
supported 2.4 and 2.6 kernels regardless of linux vendor (redhat, SuSE,
MontaVista, etc.).  What mechanism do people use to determine where to
install an init.d startup script (/etc/init.d, /etc/rc.d/init.d, etc.)?

The FHS standard is /etc/init.d iirc

Each linux vendor seems to have a different location for the init.d
directory. I do know that many vendors include a symlinked /etc/ init.d directory that points to their actual init.d directory but I'd rather not
use that as a crutch.  Then of course I have to deal with all the
different vendor utilities for managing init.d scripts (chkconfig,
insserv, update-init.d, etc.).

There's a standard using chkconfig and comments in the init scripts iirc,
but perhaps I've spent too long with RH linux.

Any tricks tips in this area?

See how other packages package init scripts.

hth

73 de Jeff