Re: SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

>The other important need is to have a find-like utility to reconstruct an
>rpmdb
>using only md5 digests of installed files for those people who are not saving
>a copy of Packages ;-)

/No one/ saves a copy of Packages, as such an implementation detail is
RPM's responsibility, and it does not do it.  Don't blame the users for
omissions!
Hmmm...I guess no one ever saves copies of the their MySQL tables, or
Postgresql if you like (BTW, I completly understand that to do one
needs the database in a quiescent state)?  That there might be a
backup option for rpm is reasonable, but when it should get called is
a completely different question (again we have entered policy land, if
you don't believe me we can make autorollback the default behavior).

...james