Re: How to make RPM installation fail if post script fails ?

Hi all,

I don't know if this is possible, but my RPM consists of several files that are installed (declared in %files of my rpm.spec file), and also several steps to be done in post section, after these files are copied to disk. It is necessary for this rpm that it is not considered as installed if one of the steps I'm doing in the post section of the spec file is failing, so I've returned by exiting with non-zero value (hoping this would stop the installation procedure), but this does not help. Strangely enough, when un-installing (with rpm –e command), if some error occurs in my preun script, then the rpm is not uninstalled….

Is there some directive or special value to return for making the installation fails after installing the rpm files ? Or am I considering this the wrong way ?

See my article:

   http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7034

Your looking for the autorollback feature of rpm, or a flavor of it that does not exist which is a dead stop on failure.  Dead stop is easy but where I work  we never found dead stop to be nearly as usefull as try to automatically roll things back.

Cheers...james