How to suppress the requirements & prerequisite checking when building an rpm

Title: Message
I built an rpm about 4 years ago on RedHat AS 2.1 (rpm 4.0.4) of an application that included its own perl bundled with it.  The automatic dependency checking of rpm found a handful of perl dependencies/prerequisites that it didn't think were covered by the package.  I was able to suppress this checking by including this in the .spec file:

        %define __find_requires %{nil}

I started running into similar behavior building on RedHat AS 3 (rpm 4.2.3) about a year ago and found that the macro no longer suppresses the pre-req checking, at least not fully.  I kludged it by adding a "Provides:" line in the .spec file to explicitly provide the couple of things that rpm said were missing when I tried to install it.  I tried defining the additional macro:

        %define __perl_requires %{nil}

but it didn't seem to have any effect.  What is the right way to tell the .spec file and rpmbuild not to look for prerequisites, that everything the package needs is included in the %files?

Thanks in advance!
Gordon Keegan