Re: How to create rpm to install multiple revisions of same package (e.g like the kernel does)

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:46:54PM -0400, John Rouillard wrote:

> The goal here is to have both the old and new versions of the
> application on disk. I have sen mention on the yum list of some magic
> in the RPM kernel builds that allows this to happen but I haven't had
> any luck in finding a description of how to make it happen.

There is no packaging magic involved here, just 2 rules:

-  Be sure multiple versions of your package do not have conflicting
   files/directories, so that they can be installed together.

-  The installer (e.g. yum, up2date, etc.) has to be told that you
   want an install i.s.o. an upgrade for your package.  RPM itself
   can not be told that it should not do an upgrade, but an install.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>