How to create rpm to install multiple revisions of same package (e.g like the kernel does)

Hello all:

I am creating some rpm's that need to be upgradable in the same way
that the kernel is upgradable. That is both the original and upgraded
packages (and their filelists) exist in the RPM database.

I currently have a pre-install scriptlet that looks at the rpm command
and aborts if it is being invoked outside of an rpm --install. This
does produce what I am after if I use --install only. However this
doesn't work under yum. Indeed 'yum install package' really does an
upgrade leaving only the new release in the rpm database.

The goal here is to have both the old and new versions of the
application on disk. I have sen mention on the yum list of some magic
in the RPM kernel builds that allows this to happen but I haven't had
any luck in finding a description of how to make it happen.

Does anybody have a pointer to the docs I need?

Thanks for your help.

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard