Creating an RPM package from sources with paths that vary

I'm creating a binary rpm file from released versions of code.  The
binary files are located in directories named using the version number
of the particular release.  So while the binary files always have the
same name, the path of the file changes after each release.

example: release/01_00_03/wizbang
         release/01_00_04/wizbang

I am trying to decide if its best to write a script to gather the files
into a single directory, with a known path, and use a spec file that is
hard coded to that path to create the RPM. -- OR -- Possibly make the
spec file smarter or somehow make it so that the path can be passed into
the SPEC.  This would avoid the step of copying the files, and give me
one less script to maintain.  I was wondering if anyone has been down
this road before and can offer suggestions?

thanks,
tmt