Re: rpm from rescue CD

Using rpm on a Knoppix live CD to re-install packages on a FC4 system
without a working ld, the following occurs:

  rpm -U --replacepkgs --root /mnt/hda6/ --noscripts glibc*
  rpmdb: /mnt/hda6/var/lib/rpm/Packages: unsupported hash version: 8
  rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
  error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
  error: cannot open Packages database in /mnt/hda6/var/lib/rpm

I should explain that this is happening a few thousand miles away from me
in my daughter's residence.

Am I right that the rpm on the Knoppix CD isn't compatible with the FC4
database?

It's possible a FC4 install CD could be found or downloaded but would

  rpm --root /mnt/hda6/ --rebuilddb

be a feasible alternative? I'm concerned that, even if the system is
resurrected, rpm wouldn't work on it.

Bob T.