Re: taking control of another package's file

On 2/8/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm creating an RPM that creates a new /etc/auto.master file (for
> automounting directories).
>
> Currently, the autofs package owns this file.  So when I try to
> install my RPM that overwrites /etc/auto.master, it complains about a
> conflict between my RPM and the autofs RPM.
>
> What's the correct resolution here?

Essentially, I'm trying package up all of the custom things we do to
our linux machines here so we can version control the changes and be
able to automatically update all the machines with the same
configuration.

What I'm doing now is creating a rpm called "our_org_changes".  In it
are sub-packages called "adjust_shared_memory_maximums",
"create_automounts", "enable_ntp", etc.  The sub packages are what
create or modify configuration files and add services to the
appropriate run levels.  The main package doesn't really do much of
anything.  I guess it should depend on all the sub packages, right?

Does my approach make any sense at all?

Thanks,
Joe