Re: multilang questions

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 06:09:42AM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Changing Url: to be locale specific makes little sense to me, mostly

Okay, it's really not an important thing.

> Only Summary/Description/Group are of type RPM_I18N_STRING.

Group really surprises me :-) I'd expect group names to be translated in a
separate database to guarantee that no matter what the packages are from,
those that belong to the same group in English should also belong to the
same group in Italian and vice versa... So it seems this is not necessarily
the case, right?

> One locale per query.

Okay.

> >Is it possible to query the list of languages for which a
> >particular field
> >is translated, or to query all these translations themselves?
>
> Not possible in general for Summary/Description/Group because the
> text that is presented
> is often outside of packages.

Okay, I accept and can easily live with the fact that it's not possible,
however, I can't really understand the reason. If rpm can find the
translation for one particular language, no matter where this info comes
from, then why can't it find it for more languages? Or maybe rpm itself
cannot find the translation if it is in specspo format?

> This will show what languages have been included inside the package:
> 	rpm -qp --qf '[%{headeri18ntable}\n]' foo*.rpm

In the mean time I also found it, but thanks anyway :-))

> The specspo mechanism is far more flexible than RPM_I18N_STRING because
> the text can be updated and corrected months and years later without
> rebuilding the package.

This specspo is a whole new thing to me, I've never heard of it, but I'll
take a look at it to see if it is what we need. However, it's absolutely no
problem for us to rebuild a package whenever it's summary/description
changes for any language, so we can perfectly stick to RPM_I18N_STRING.

thx,

Egmont