Re: Layers of triggers

On 1/23/06, Brian Long <brilong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've searched the archives for triggers and I've read the explanation on
> trigger ordering, but I have a quick question.
>
> If I have an RPM foo which contains a %triggerin that copies sshd_config
> into place when openssh-server is installed, but then I have a separate
> RPM bar which contains a %triggerin foo that slightly alters
> sshd_config, the order in which triggers fire appears to be random.

Its probably not random, but as far as I have seen in the code its not
based on any dependency order.  I completely understand what your
trying to do.  It would be possible I am sure to order the running of
the triggers by dependencies, but the normal package dependencies may
not be sufficient in all cases, as the only dependency may be between
the triggers themselves, and the normal package deps may be opposite
or certainly conflicting with the trigger deps....hmm, but then how
would they get installed in the right order that they would run
together to begin with.

Thinking further, then, I think sorting on package deps might just do
the trick.  Sounds like an RFE...james