RPM build "dry-run"

Hello all,

I am building a small distro for an embedded platform and I am using RPM. So far, I have ended up in a big collection of source RPMs, and build the distribution using 'rpmbuild --rebuild' and a couple --define flags to specify toolchain, kernel headers location, etc.

All these source RPM packages are installed in a directory and I have created a makefile to build the entire distribution. This is handy because I can build the entire distribution with a single "make" command. Also, I can put a new version of a source RPM and a "make" will build only this single source RPM.

This makefile however is a tricky business. The best solution I have come to is some GNU make macros to convert the 'foo-version-release.src.rpm' to foo-version-release.$ARCH.rpm. This works for all simple RPMS which produce a single binary RPM, with a single rule:

%.$(ARCH).rpm: %.src.rpm
        rpmbuild $(RPM_BUILD_FLAGS) $<

The problem arises with source RPMs that produce subpackages. For these I have to include a specific make target because it is obviously not possible to infer the binary packages that will come out of the source rpm.

To cut a long story sort, is it possible to invoke the RPM command to do a 'dry-run' of the building process, in order to get *just* the names of the binary packages that will be produced? I have tried the --nobuild flag but it obviously fails when it checks the %files section because no files have been produced.

What I really want is to produce a 'make dep' behavior, in which all source RPMs will be opened and using a script (which does not build the universe!) the source RPM names will be related to the binary RPMs. Thus I can later do a 'make all' to do the actual building.

--
amanous