Re: patching binaries at install time without breaking rpm -V?

On Dec 22, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

This scheme will work as long as you don't need more than one installation of the exact same version of Perl, and all files are stored locally (no networked file systems involved). I've never played with relocatable packages, hower something tells me RPM will not allow you to have same version of package installed twice (or would it?). So it might not be the problem anyhow...

rpm has always permitted multiple instances of packages to be installed with -i.

Even identical. version and release, previously installed files are marked as REPLACED.

OTOH, having multiply installed identical packages -- even if relocated -- is extremely confusing. The far molre maintainable solution is to rebuild the package with whatever
paths you want.

E.g. examine
    rpm -q kernel | wc