Re: How to enable and disable debug packages?

Ok, I found rpm-debuginfo.....rpm and it install find.  When I try to use it
for my -lrpm I get tons of linker errors. I know I must be doing something wrong.

So can anyone give me the quick story on how to use?
A "debuginfo" package generally contains two things:

  1. Symbol tables for executables and shared objects in the "main"
     package; a separate file for every binary, installed as
     /usr/lib/debug<path to binary>.debug.
  2. Copies of the source files used to build the above mentioned
     binaries, installed on /usr/src/debug.

Everything is set up so that the debugger will load one or more of the files mentioned in 2) when asked to display source code for one of the binaries. The symbol tables are the same thing as what the gdb manual page refers to e.g. under the description of the -symbols/-s option. In many cases, you don't have to worry too much about the fact that these are separate files, as gdb will find them automatically.

I'm not sure how this would affect linkage (as in -lrpm), or if it should interfere with it at all.

- Toralf