Building rpm packages question

I've been building a few source rpms and playing around with .spec files. But the rpm building process leads me down roads I'd rather not walk. For example, I have attempted to build several source rpms that have certain features I simply won't use. These features require certain packages (mysql-devel, php-devel, etc.) that I don't want nor care about. I simply see no reason to build these parts of the rpm nor install the dependent packages. Is there some way to influence rpmbuild to build only certain packages within a source rpm so that these dependencies are not needed? If not then is there a recommended way to tweak the build process short of modifying the spec file?

And this seems to bring up a question with upgrading the package whose spec file is modified. How is a modified spec file merged with the spec file from a newer package? By hand, I would guess?

 Shane