Re: Query about %files tag in spec file

shekhar vaggu wrote:
> I have a basic question on building rpm packages as a non-root
> user.

You say you have a question.  But I don't see a question in your
posting.

> Suppose if I want to place all my binaries under /usr/loca/bin/
> and man pages under /usr/local/man which are owned by root by
> default.Say If we include /usr/local/bin/cdplay and
> /usr/local/man/man1/cdp.1 in %files section rpm looks for these files
> to bind in binary rpm under the specified locations right?

Yes.  If you list /usr/ocal/bin/cdplay that is where it will look for
it.  Rooted under your buildroot.

> To include these files in binary rpm files should be copied from our
> build location to the destination location which we can't do as a
> normal user.

You can as a normal user use a BuildRoot in your specfile.

> How this can be done when building packages as a non-root user.

By using a BuildRoot pointing to a location that can be written to by
the user such as /var/tmp/${package}-build.

> One thing I know is this can be accomplished by using buildroot
> variable in spec file.

Yes, exactly, by using a buildroot in the specifile.  You know this is
the answer.  What is the question?

Bob