Re: Query about %files tag in spec file

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:12:33PM +0530, shekhar vaggu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a basic question on building rpm packages as a non-root
> user.Suppose if I want to place all my binaries under /usr/loca/bin/
> and man pages under /usr/local/man which are owned by root by
> default.Say If we include /usr/local/bin/cdplay and
> /usr/local/man/man1/cdp.1 in %files section rpm looks for these files
> to bind in binary rpm under the specified locations right? To include
> these files in binary rpm files should be copied from our build
> location to the destination location which we can't do as a normal
> user.How this can be done when building packages as a non-root
> user.One thing I know is this can be accomplished by using buildroot
> variable in spec file.

Hi Shekhar,

You should set up your own build root using the ~/.rpmmacros file:

[me@myserver me]$ more .rpmmacros
%packager               Ben Fitzgerald <me@xxxxxxxx>
%_topdir                /export/home/benf/redhat
%_builddir              %{_topdir}/BUILD
%_rpmdir                %{_topdir}/RPMS
%_sourcedir             %{_topdir}/SOURCES
%_specdir               %{_topdir}/SPECS
%_srcrpmdir             %{_topdir}/SRPMS
%_tmppath               /var/tmp
%_buildroot             %{_tmppath}/%{name}-root

This way you use your temp build root, say %_builddir/cdplay/
to put stuff in, e.g.
%_builddir/cdplay/usr/local/man/man1/cdplay.man

You can create + write to the above because it's under your home
directory.

Never create an rpm as root or you are waiting for the time you
recursively remove root on %clean! I would not trust myself...

HTH,

ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435