Re: Newbie multiple packages question

Jim Hardwick wrote:
> I have a problem that's beyond my limited RPM knowledge and need some
> advice.

I think your problem is a stretch because it is unusual.  You are
trying to build all of the packages all at once.  But they are really
independent because they can have file overlap.

> $INSTALL_ROOT/node1/etc/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node1/opt/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node2/etc/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node2/opt/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node3/etc/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
> $INSTALL_ROOT/node3/opt/...
> [...]
> The problem is the files in the binary packages obviously have /node1,
> /node2, etc prefixes. Is there a way to strip these off so the packages
> install as intended?

Personally I would build them as individual packages.  Then there is
no file conflict.  Then you can use whatever prefixes you desire.

> I've thought about not using the prefixes at all in 'make install'. But
> there are config files with identical names that must be installed on each
> node.
>
> I might be going about this the wrong way... if so, I'd really appreciate
> suggestions. I *can* change the way 'make install' works.

Since you are already using /opt, you might install everything under
/opt for the package and then include a symlink from the target
location to there for the files that conflict.

Even better is if you can modify your application so that it can look
for somefile.$(hostname) so that they can be uniquely in each package
but still be found for each host.  (If you do that then in general
hostnames might be short names or they might be fully qualified domain
names.  It would be nice to handle both transparently.)

Just brainstorming with you...

Bob