Comparing RPM files

Hi,

I been assigned the task at work to compare the files in two different
rpm files. Example,
abc-7.08-001.i386.rpm with abc-7.08-002.i386.rpm. By using the command
"rpm -qlp --dump" I
get the contents of each file contained in the rpm with its md5sums. By
comparing the md5sums
of each matching filename, I can determine if the files changed or are
the same from one
release to the next. Everything is fine until I compare the md5sums of
".a" library files.
At that point, even if we know that they did not change, the sums are
different. The rpm's were
built using the same library file that was built with the ver. 000. The
library files were only
Included in with the rpm and not a newly rebuilt file. Note that the
library file is not only
Different form ver 1 and 2 but also from the original.

Question:
1. What is causing the rpm to change from the original to each version?
2. How could we compare the library files from each rpm to determine if
they changed since
   the md5sums are different?

Thanks for you help.

Avram